guix-devel

Re: wrapping up the Newmoon Browser package

From: ng0
Subject: Re: wrapping up the Newmoon Browser package
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 12:14:25 +0000

Chris Marusich transcribed 3.2K bytes:
> ng0 <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Issue 1 I addressed so far: The default homepage (after first
> > start and in general default) called a website which is questionable
> > in my opion: https://palemoon.start.me
>
> Can the home page be customized in Newmoon?  If so, then in my personal

Yes, I think you can create a profile and log in to customize.

> opinion it would be good to leave the upstream default as-is, and let
> the user decide whether to change it.  The page seems fairly benign to
> me, but I understand that some people might object to some of the links
> (e.g., to Facebook).
>
> As far as the FSDG is concerned, I don't think this matters either way.

Huh. So this page would be okay in FSDG? Interesting.
I object to its content, but changes are trivial to make.

> > Next, can I keep the default bookmarks? They are:
> > - https://www.palemoon.org
> > - http://forum.palemoon.org/index.php
> > - https://www.palemoon.org/faq.shtml
> > - https://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml
>
> These all seem benign to me; presumably they will be useful for a user
> of a browser based on Pale Moon, right?  Again, I feel like respecting
> upstream's decision on the defaults is the right way to go.

Ok.

> > Finally, about:addons let's you install Addons from 2 repositories:
> > Pale Moon Add-ons Site and Mozilla Add-ons Site.
> > "Search all add-ons" queries the 2 repositories and lets you install
> > add-ons from the repositories.
> >
> > In an ideal world, I would have figured out the integration for
> > plugins in the gnu-store by now. But I'm still testing, so:
>
> Do these add-on repositories contain or encourage the use of non-free
> software?

It's the original Mozilla Webstore. I have no issues with that, but as far
as Icecat existence goes, GNU seems to have a problem with it.
The Pale Moon / Moonchild Productions webstore is more restricted in
licenses as far as I remember.

> If so, to remain FSDG-compliant, it might be necessary to
> change Newmoon so that it points somewhere else, such as the Free
> Software Directory (this is what GNU Icecat does when you click on "Get
> Add-ons").
>
> On the technical side of things, is it possible to install plugins in
> the browser, or does it fail with Guix-specific problems (e.g., tried to
> modify a file in the immutable store)?

I'll give it a try and report back.

> If it's possible to install
> plugins in "the usual way" (whatever that is for Newmoon), then that's
> great, and maybe someday we can figure out how to integrate those
> plugins with Guix, too.  If it isn't possible to install plugins, then
> that's not so great, but if the browser is usable in spite of that, then
> it's probably better to add the browser now and iterate on it - we could
> figure out how to accommodate the plugins later.

I've started experimenting with the extensions integration with Firefox ESR 54+,
if that is what you mean. As Gentoo patches it to make use of a vendor location
for other Mozilla-based products, and Archlinux as well as Nix, my guess is
that you just have to figure out the right combination of punchholes for our
Lispmachine :)
If that is what you meant.

> --
> Chris

Thanks for taking a look at this :)
--
A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
https://n0.is