guix-devel

Re: wrapping up the Newmoon Browser package

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: wrapping up the Newmoon Browser package
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 13:02:12 -0400

Hi,

ng0 <address@hidden> writes:

> I need some final input on topics I'm more liberal about.
> Many many moons ago I started the work on Pale Moon. This
> package has now moved into New Moon, which is what we are
> allowed to redistribute with modifications (Pale Moon without
> branding).

Do you know if the New Moon browser supports EME?  If so, it would need
to be disabled somehow.  The GNU FSDG specifically prohibits browsers
that support EME.

> Issue 1 I addressed so far: The default homepage (after first
> start and in general default) called a website which is questionable
> in my opion: https://palemoon.start.me
>
> I have patched the default home page to be gnu.org and gnu.org/s/guix
>

> Next, can I keep the default bookmarks? They are:
> - https://www.palemoon.org
> - http://forum.palemoon.org/index.php
> - https://www.palemoon.org/faq.shtml
> - https://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

I suspect that the default home page and bookmarks will need to be
changed.  Otherwise, we would be steering users towards obtaining the
Pale Moon browser, whose binary distribution is restricted by a nonfree
license.  See <https://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml>

> Finally, about:addons let's you install Addons from 2 repositories:
> Pale Moon Add-ons Site and Mozilla Add-ons Site.
> "Search all add-ons" queries the 2 repositories and lets you install
> add-ons from the repositories.

We definitely need to avoid steering users toward the Mozilla Add-ons
Site, or any other add-on site that is not committed to including only
free software.  We could instead steer users toward the list of free
add-ons that's used by GNU IceCat.

Thanks for working on it.

      Mark