Re: Pre-release testing

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Pre-release testing
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 02:33:29 +0000

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 08:37:00PM +0100, James Bailey wrote:

> One thing I find very helpful is to have a short list of things to check
> for when doing these kinds of quick version test. I haven't really worked
> very hard on it, but here's kinda the things I do so far when looking at
> checking versions:

Nice idea!  Once we've worked on this list a bit, I'll add it to
the CG release chapter.

> Open LilyPad
> Compile a File with LilyPad Editor

I believe that
  input/regression/typography-demo.ly
tests all types of output.  At least, it did at one point; by now
there's probably extra features which aren't included in that
file.  Still, it's probably a good test, since it includes other
languages, a bunch of articulations, slurs, cross-beam staves,
etc.

If anybody wants to volunteer to track down whether it currently
includes all grobs, or wants to modify the file to add other
things to test, I certainly wouldn't object.  I have no plans on
investigating or tweaking this file myself.

> Update Syntax {b4\sustainUp a g a \sustainDown} \version "2.10.0"
>
> Check Command-Line Options
> Compile a file from the command line

I wouldn't bother with these unless there's a specific reason to
think they've broken or been changed.

Granted, it depends on how much time you want to put into it.  But
I think a good trade-off would be to just check one or two files
with LilyPad, unless I specifically ask about something else.  I
think the remaining lilypond time would be better spent processing
bug reports, editing files on LSR, etc.