Re: [translations] Re: Helping translators do their work

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: [translations] Re: Helping translators do their work
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 23:27:09 +0100

Am Dienstag, 16. Februar 2010 19:59:06 schrieb John Mandereau:
> Hi guys,
>
> Il giorno mar, 16/02/2010 alle 19.07 +0100, Francisco Vila ha scritto:
> > I understand it.  But to put it simple: I'm not smart enough to guess
> > what did happen in such a complex commit, and that leads to nearly
> > undoable translation updates.  Others may be smarter than me, so it is
> > maybe easier for them.  Not everybody has time enough to solve hard
> > puzzles like this.
> >
> > I am just asking for small things that would lead to big improvements:
> > this is all efficiency.
>
> OTOH we'd like to require that commits don't break docs build, which is
> incompatible with what you're asking.  A compromise might be more
> detailed commit messages that explain what has been done, and possibly a
> few hints on *how* it's been done.

OTOH, why it is such a problem if the docs don't build after one particular
commit (which only moves completely unchanged sections around)? If the commit
to fix the build again is committed immediately afterwards (and both commits
pushed to the server at the same time), the current master will always
compile, although some intermedient commit might not. That way translators can
easily figure out how to move translated sections around and then do the build
fixes afterwards.

In my eyes, this would be a good middleway to make work easier for
translators, while still having buildable docs all the time.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886