Re: Revised autobeam settings patch -- cleaned up debug comments (issue1

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Revised autobeam settings patch -- cleaned up debug comments (issue1667044)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 09:55:35 +0100

Carl, you wrote Monday, June 21, 2010 10:10 PM

Sorry for the delay - I've been away and it took
a while to catch up with my mail.

On 6/16/10 3:18 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:
Carl.D.Sorensen wrote Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:27 PM

Revised autobeam settings patch -- cleaned up debug comments
in code and eliminated the irrelevant changes in
Documentation/snippets just due to running makelsr.py

Please review this at http://codereview.appspot.com/1667044/show

One or two of the default beam settings might be
improved (while you're changing the beaming, that is - I
think the behaviour below is probably as in the current
releases, not introduced in this patch).  The most
important is illustrated by

\relative c' {
  \time 3/4
  % In 3/4 time never beam an odd number of 8th notes or two
  % 8th notes in different beats
  f8 f f f f f
  f16 f f f f f f f f f f f
  f32 f f f f f f f f f f f
  f f f f f f f f f f f f
  f4 r8 f f f     % incorrect!
  f8 f~f f f f    % incorrect!
  d'4. c8 b8. a16  % incorrect!
}

I accepted your statement of beaming rules, since
I'm quite a novice at beaming.

Well, I'm no expert either.  My snippet above is based
on Ross, p 92, which says "Do not notate a 3/4 measure
that looks like a measure in 6/8 time."  Poor English,
but he goes on to show the first two of the three
examples marked incorrect above, and clearly labels them
as incorrect.

And I adjusted the the autobeaming code so it would work according
to your recommendations.

Today I've been studying books to see what the references say, because the
new rule I added caused a regression in 4/4 time.

I want to get some clarification. If I understand your rules correctly, you
believe that

f4 r8 f8[ f f]

would be incorrect beaming, and that instead it should be beamed

f4 r8 f8 f8[ f]

Yes; Ross gives exactly these patterns later on p 92 and labels them
incorrect and correct respectively.  That's where my snippet came
from.

Ross, however (1970, page 92) shows the first pattern as "Another use of the
beam in 3/4 time", rather than as an incorrect use.

Hhm.  Maybe we are looking a different editions.  All I can
see earlier on p 92 are examples that don't contain rests, and
it is the presence of the rest that is important, since this
causes three quavers to be beamed together, making it look like
a 6/8 measure.

The algorithm I developed to resolve that problem led to the following inT

r8 f8 f8[ f] f8[ f f f]

where we previously had

r8 f8[ f f] f8[ f f f]

Ross (1970, page 91) shows the following as an acceptable beaming in 4/4

r8 f8[ f f] f4 f8[ f]

Which would imply the the previous beaming is correct.

Agreed, although I don't think the new beaming here is as bad
as making a 3/4 measure look like one in 6/8.

The bottom line is that the new beaming rules solve the first and third incorrect cases in your example above. However, the price of doing that is
they split a previously acceptable beam in 4/4 time.

Let me summarize:

OLD                       NEW
3/4
f4 r8 f8[ f f]            f4 r8 f8 f8[ f]
f4. f8[ b8. a16]          f4. f8  b8.[ a16]

4/4
r8 f8[ f f] f8[ f f f]   r8 f8 f8[ f] f8[ f f f]

So are these beaming rules correct, or at least better than the old ones?

I think they are better than the old ones, but I'd prefer
to hear opinions from some real musicians.

I think here it would be better to break quaver beams
every beat

For measures consisting entirely of quavers, beaming in 6 is far preferable, in my opinion (and we've had this discussion before; we decided that staying
in 6 was best).

Agreed; I suggested this only as a possible way of avoiding
making a 3/4 measure look like one in 6/8.  Now you've
found a better solution for that we should continue to
beam 6 quavers in 6.

Carl

Trevor