Re: NR 2.1 Vocal music

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: NR 2.1 Vocal music
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:56:55 +0100

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:38 PM
>>
>> I'd really rather that you helped out with programming (or at
>> least testing+reviewing patches) and critical doc issues...
>
> I looked through the 12 remaining critical issues before making
> my suggestion to tackle NR 2.1.  8 are marked as started, of
> which 2 have patches being reworked by the authors.
>
> Of the 4 remaining, 2 are website stuff that only you can do,
> 1 Carl has promised to look at and the final one I think only
> Joe can tackle.

First -- I'm happy with you working on NR 2.1, so don't take this
email as discouraging you from doing that.  I'm aiming these comments
at the mailing list in general, and some Frogs (or even "not yet
frogs"), not you.

I think that 1084 was only waiting for somebody to test it with a doc
build.  I've done this now, but it's not something that's hard -- it
just takes firing off a few commands and then going for dinner.
(that said, it seems like this is a bad option for people working with
a virtual machine... but any potential contributor on linux could
certainly have done this)

Second, the release can't happen immediately after the last Critical
issue is solved.  There's about 10-20 hours of work left to do after
that.  A lot of it is technical build stuff (which I wouldn't wish on
my worst enemy), but there's still a chunk that's fairly easy to
delegate.  A quick glance at CG 10.3 should serve as sufficient
evidence of our unready state.  BTW, the first thing I'd delegate is
making a list of places to announce the release.  The current list is
about 5 years old, and even *that* list has various notes like
"non-existant?".

In short: there's plenty of work, for any ability level, that needs to
be done before 2.14.0.  I can always find work for minions.

PS that said, I'm not claiming that anybody *should* be focused on
making a release.  If somebody just wants to work on writing good code
and doesn't care at all about official releases and the like, then of
course just continue doing that!