Re: NR 2.1 Vocal music

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: NR 2.1 Vocal music
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 19:09:01 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Friday, August 27, 2010 9:54 PM

Let's deal with 2.1.1 first.

I know you didn't say to look at NR 2.1.1, but I noticed that you used
"Common references for vocal music" instead of the standard
"References for vocal music".

Yes, this was because there are specific references later.
But I don't feel too strongly about this if you'd really
rather it conform.

Also, could Ambitus be in @notation
rather than @q{} ? You might want to add a @seealso music glossary
link for this.

Will do.

I really, really, really don't like writing specific section numbers.
Somebody should be able to add a new subsection between 2.1.3 and
2.1.4 without changing (or even knowing) about the text in 2.1.1. I'd
actually say that 2.1.2 is the only subsection which is common to
"all" types of vocal music.

I think we need to reorganise the first few sections
of Vocal a little.

I suggest the following:

2.1 Vocal music
2.1.1 Common notation for vocal music
       (Common) references for vocal music
       Entering lyrics (the present Lyrics explained)
       [all the sections in Aligning lyrics to a melody
        except for Lyrics and repeats]
2.1.2 Techniques specific to lyrics
        [as now, plus:]
        Working with lyrics and variables
        Lyrics and repeats

Remainder as now.

This puts all the really common stuff in 2.1.1 and
gives the section the same structure as the other
sections in chapter 2.  And it removes the problem
of referencing sections by number.

Comments?

Trevor