Re: Adds padding between Hairpins and SpanBars. (issue 5438060)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Adds padding between Hairpins and SpanBars. (issue 5438060)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 07:58:07 +0100

On Nov 29, 2011, at 3:13 AM, address@hidden wrote:

> On 2011/11/28 09:11:47, mike_apollinemike.com wrote:
>> If the hairpins stop before span bars but
>> extend all the way when span bar's don't exist
>> (including when they are not
>> present because of the RemoveEmptyStaffContext),
>> then I'd much rather go with
>> your patch, as it is much less invasive than mine.
>
>> Lemme know!
>
> From the response on the tracker issue, it seems that people don't want
> the complicated behavior you just described, so we can go with the
> simpler <http://codereview.appspot.com/5373048/> ; it made a clean
> check.  I linked it to issue 2060 but it fixes 2057 as well.
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/5438060/

Hey all,

I've attached the regtest I added compiled w/ Keith's patch & with my patch.
In the pdf compiled with version of my patch from last night, all of the
hairpins line up and stop short of the span bar. Alternatively, when there are
no span bar intersection problems, the hairpins go to the end of the line.
Keith - the pdf compiled with your patch seems to still have the intersection
problem.  In general, it is very difficult to anticipate if a hairpin will bump
into a span bar without going through some code acrobatics, and even more
difficult to apply this change to all hairpins ending at the same
NonMusicalPaperColumn without a code 3-ring-circus.  So, even though my code is
sprawley, I think that it is the only way to ensure the correct
collision-avoidance behavior.

Cheers,
MS