Re: Adds padding between Hairpins and SpanBars. (issue 5438060)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Adds padding between Hairpins and SpanBars. (issue 5438060)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 01:22:32 -0800

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 23:38:28 -0800, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

In the original report, my eyes zoomed directly to the second system, last
measure (which my patch fixes).

Just to be clear, the one-line fix linked to issue 2060 fixes that original
report as well.

 I see what you mean that these two work independently.

Well, they don't work independently, because your code adds more gap to
whatever the original code already had.  It looks already like you had to adapt
your code to avoid double-padding where the original code was successful.

You should incorporate the bugfix
if (bound->is_non_musical (bound) || bound->break_status_dir ())
into your patch, so that you start with a consistent set of hairpin lengths
going into your new Hairpin::real_span_bar_padding(). Clearly the original code
intended to apply to all non-musical columns, so it will be very confusing if
Hairpin::print() fails to do what it appears to be doing, but then
Hairpin::real_span_bar_padding() compensates for the failure.

Also, if real_span_bar_padding() assumes that it starts with the buggy lengths
from print(), eventually somebody will adjust your new properties, and uncover
the former inconsistent behavior.