Re: Adds padding between Hairpins and SpanBars. (issue 5438060)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Adds padding between Hairpins and SpanBars. (issue 5438060)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:38:28 +0100

On Nov 29, 2011, at 8:25 AM, Keith OHara wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 22:58:07 -0800, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I've attached the regtest I added compiled w/ Keith's patch & with my patch.
>
> Your test case has one very long hairpin in each staff, spanning three
> systems.
> Do we want to insert a gap in the broken hairpin to make room for the span
> bar at the end of the line?  We don't create a gap for span bars in the
> middle of a line, so I didn't think that is what the bug report asked for.
>
> I split off issue 2060, which simply makes hairpins at the end-of-line act
> just as they do at any other bar line.  I will want to be able to do that
> regardless of what you do with your patch.  I also want to fix the original
> code so that it works consistently, otherwise your hairpin-shortening code
> will need to be synchronized to the bug in the original implementation to
> avoid double-shortening.

Ah, ok, no harm no foul!
In the original report, my eyes zoomed directly to the second system, last
measure (which my patch fixes).  I see what you mean that these two work
independently.

Could you post some PDFs of the patch in action?  Just reading the code, with
respect to:

if (bound->is_non_musical (bound) || bound->break_status_dir())

I have trouble imagining how the second condition could add grobs that the
first doesn't cover (I thought that grobs with a break status dir were a strict
subset of non-musical grobs given how the property defs work in
define-grobs.scm).

Cheers,
MS