Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 13:01:31 +0100

Am 23.12.2008 um 11:07 schrieb Francisco Vila:

2008/12/22 chip <address@hidden>:
Not everybody has a programmers mind. I don't. I have no interest whatsoever
in programming. A person should be able to use a piece of software without
having to be a programmer to do so. If a programming degree is necessary to
use Lily then it is either a) not complete enough for the general public to
use, and a warning message to this effect should be placed on the web site
home page, or b) should be aimed at a different audience -
programmers/brainiacs.

If you use LilyPond, you are a programmer. LilyPond is a programming language*.

It has sequences, loops, nested structures, variables.

It follows a syntax and gives you a result. Do not follow the syntax
and your output will be faulty or inexistent.

Having read the introduction to How to Design Programs everything is programming. I guess we need to distinguish between different types of programming then. I certainly wouldn't call using microsoft word programming, but according to How to Design Programs, it is.

I think what he means here is that the programming required to use the Scheme aspect of lilypond requires considerably more pre-existing knowledge about designing software than to the knowledge one needs to program a Microsoft Word Document.