Re: Quit

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Quit
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:49:28 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Also seen several times are people sending /lots/ of questions,
> be it users or developers, and after everything has been
> answered, the user quits or potential developers says she has no
> time or does not thing she is up for it after all.

If the gist of the relevant answers are placed in the docs rather than
put to rot in the list archives, the effort has not been wasted.  If
another one independently decides to pick up the lost ball at a later
point of time, he does not need to start from scratch.

> While I do not have a final verdict on this, it seems safe to spend
> most of our development efforts on developing.

There is a limit to how much development each of "us" can do.  There is
no limit to how many persons "we" can be.

> You need to be pretty good to add something to LilyPond and I doubt if
> developer documentation/hand-holding is going to make that any easier.

It is less distracting to other developers if the likes of me don't blow
their top every minute.

> Apparently, making this Reasonable is something you consider
> to be important.  The thing to do here would be to pick up
> that task -- if it's important enough for you.  It is next
> to impossible to get people to do what you want by merely
> stating that it is important.

I can't that task before having a clue.  I can coax code to do what I
want it to do eventually.  But I can't coax code into doing things like
they were _intended_ to be done.

--
David Kastrup