Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:51:56 +0000

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 03:19:37PM -0500, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
>> - 2-5 hours of texinfo file editing
>
> I just pulled a new origin/master from git.
> Today, I've got upwards of 3 hours to code: what do you want me to work
> on?

The first thing that comes to mind is Alternate input.
Documentation/general/introduction.texi
@node Alternate input

I'm thinking of having 4 main boxes at the top:
- denemo
- lilypondtool
- frescobaldi
- emacs+vim

then one box with all the others.  Probably with only a 1 or
2-sentence descrition, and no pictures.  Alternately, maybe have
two other boxes: 1 for "moderately recommended" (i.e. a list, but
still pictures), and another for "not really recommended (i.e. a
list with no pictures).

Pictures and descriptions from the project websites are ok as far
as I'm concerned.  I suppose that *technically* even a
one-sentence project description is still under copyright, so
*technically* you shoudl ask the project if you can use it.  But I
think that's getting ridiculous.

Pictures (screenshots or not) go in Documentation/pictures/.
You'll need to delete the out/ and/or out-www/ in that dir and do
another "make doc" to regenerate them; a simple "make doc" again
won't regenerate those new images.  (another joyous build system
issue)

Now for the disclaimers:
- if you're willing to be responsible for this page, then feel
  free to toss out anything in the above description (other than
  the technical build system stuff).  Organize the page however
  you maoing feel like it.
- as far as I'm concerned, do the minimum amount -- just format
  the bottom list(s) nicely.  Don't bother looking up project
  webpages to see if Denemo supports windows or anything lile
  that; if we get stuff wrong, somebody will complain eventually.

As a disclaimer to the second disclaimer, somebody posted on
bug-lilypond earlier today with a bunch of info that this page
could contain, including news that denemo works on windows.  So it
might be polite to fix that thing, at least... but I maintain that
it's probably not worth researching any editor.

More generally, find any @help  in the new website.  They're
really ugly flsahing green and red.  Somebody already offered to
look at the Features page, although having more people looking at
it can't be bad.  One or two of the @help are directed at build
system people (which seems to be me now).  But most of them can be
done -- at leats, done in a quick "band-aid" manner -- by just
editing the .texi files.

Cheers,
- Graham