Re: Request for feedback on 'lobbying' paper

From: Klaus Föhl
Subject: Re: Request for feedback on 'lobbying' paper
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 14:34:36 +0000 (UTC)

Urs Liska edited:
> My target audience are people who are involved in writing scores and
> text about music (maybe with a slight personal bias on people who
> prepare editions), but who still use word processors and wysiwyg
> notation programs.

So you mostly cannot count on familiarity with TeX or LaTeX.

LaTeX in particular can be a bitch at times. However, one key advantage is
that what you see in the source is everything, no hidden extra stuff
(well, true for ASCII without control characters, slightly less for UTF-8).

>From a practical view, the text editor does not mangle your input file.
Unseen, that is. It is only the derived (compiled/processed) output file
that may look gibberish.

Archival, file format compatibilities, lost possibility to render files
(I've been burnt in the past using some proprietary graphics software)
I admit, these aspects (with the wide field of open source looming)
is not your main point. Maybe a Sibelius side remark?

Version control, diff (you do know there is latexdiff?) and other
console or shell-based mechanisms, maybe you are lucky and your
audience has some experience in writing macros, so there is the
concept available that there is a difference between WYSIWYG/RTF
and plain text (be it for content, be it as programming language)
and you could draw on that aspect.

Just some thoughts

Klaus