Re: Fixing overlapping notation

From: Anthonys Lists
Subject: Re: Fixing overlapping notation
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 22:52:56 +0100

On 24/04/2015 22:32, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Wol,

As mentioned by others, actual code samples will be much better than abstract
complaints, if a solution is what you’re looking for.

If squeezing notes closer causes markup to collide and staircase, that's VERY
painful to me.
Does this not fix your problem?

\version "2.19.18"

scriptStuff = {
     \repeat unfold 4 { c''-\markup "This is a long markup" }
}

%%  default
\score {
   \scriptStuff
}

%%  with extra spacing tweak
\score {
   \scriptStuff
   \layout {
     \context {
       \Score
       \override TextScript.extra-spacing-width = #'(-0.5 . 0.5)

my use case bumps into collisions - often several - with pretty much EVERY
piece I do, and in every case lily's default behaviour is wrong.
Likely it’s easy to fix — either by what I’ve used (above) or otherwise.

Hope this helps!

It has!

I would, however, like to understand why :-) I can see you're setting a variable to some scheme value, but why does adding an extra 1/2 unit either side suddenly make text stack horizontally rather than vertically? "Monkey see monkey do" is fine as a quick fix, but not much help when I hit another "similar but not the same" problem.

That was my thing about example pieces - all these tweaks should be commented as to what they're doing and why, so someone only needs to find one or two examples of their type of work, and study them, to get a good basic grounding. I know I learn fast once someone explains things, but all too often with documentation (as opposed to examples) it's blindingly clear what it's saying once you no longer need it ... :-)
All I need now to make that particular bit perfect is to get it to justify correctly :-)

Cheers,
Wol