Re: Fixing overlapping notation

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Fixing overlapping notation
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 00:12:49 +0200

> On 24/04/2015 22:32, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>>
>> Hi Wol,
>>
>> As mentioned by others, actual code samples will be much better than
>> abstract complaints, if a solution is what you’re looking for.
>>
>>> If squeezing notes closer causes markup to collide and staircase, that's
>>> VERY painful to me.
>>
>> Does this not fix your problem?
>>
>> \version "2.19.18"
>>
>> scriptStuff = {
>>      \repeat unfold 4 { c''-\markup "This is a long markup" }
>> }
>>
>> %%  default
>> \score {
>>    \scriptStuff
>> }
>>
>> %%  with extra spacing tweak
>> \score {
>>    \scriptStuff
>>    \layout {
>>      \context {
>>        \Score
>>        \override TextScript.extra-spacing-width = #'(-0.5 . 0.5)
>>      }
>>    }
>> }
>>
>>> my use case bumps into collisions - often several - with pretty much
>>> EVERY piece I do, and in every case lily's default behaviour is wrong.
>>
>> Likely it’s easy to fix — either by what I’ve used (above) or otherwise.
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>

> It has!
>
> I would, however, like to understand why :-) I can see you're setting a
> variable to some scheme value, but why does adding an extra 1/2 unit either
> side suddenly make text stack horizontally rather than vertically? "Monkey
> see monkey do" is fine as a quick fix, but not much help when I hit another
> "similar but not the same" problem.
>
> That was my thing about example pieces - all these tweaks should be
> commented as to what they're doing and why, so someone only needs to find
> one or two examples of their type of work, and study them, to get a good
> basic grounding. I know I learn fast once someone explains things, but all
> too often with documentation (as opposed to examples) it's blindingly clear
> what it's saying once you no longer need it ... :-)
> All I need now to make that particular bit perfect is to get it to justify
> correctly :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

Hi,

as mentioned by others your example is not very useful.
Actually it puzzles me, I have _no_ idea about the intended output.

Nevertheless, you happily mix different things all the time:
TextScript and RehearsalMark.
They have different usecases and different default settings.

Anyway you could play with
\textLengthOn
\textLengthOff
\markLengthOn
\markLengthOff
\once \override Score.VoltaBracket.shorten-pair = #'(1 . 1.4) adjust
the values to fit your needs.

All are mentioned in the NR.
Some explained with example(s).
'shorten-pair only with it's description
(If you wanna know why the first value is 1, you'd need to dive in
deep, very deep in the source code for bar-lines and how they play
together with VoltaBrackets. Are you sure you really want?)

HTH a bit,
  Harm

P.S.
\version "2.10.0" ????