lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Versioning System

From: David Empson
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Versioning System
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 11:03:28 +1200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Auerbach" <address@hidden>
To: "'lwip-devel'" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 7:55 AM

>As noone seems to have objections, can we proceed? I found a howto to
convert from CVS to git, but as I'm not a project leader, I can't do the
work, I think.

I'm not a developer and feel there's no point in objecting, but I will add
that as someone who updates weekly or so and keeps running the latest CVS
HEAD in my development, git will be less convenient for me as we do use CVS in house. I will have to install git and learn the basics, which might not
be much, but it's still something to do as it's not part of my daily
toolset.

I'm also not a developer, and will live with whichever system is picked. The following is mainly to provoke discussion about potential issues, hopefully without getting into turf wars over which VCS is better.

Some background about my experience: at work we've been using proprietary Windows-only version control software (Code Co-op, which is a distributed VCS). I'm familiar with the concepts involved in something like git or mercurial, but I haven't used either of them. I have some experience with Subversion. My only use of CVS has been to access HEAD for LWIP, and I do that via Mac OS X (which comes with cvs command line tools) rather than running CVS on Windows.

I did some quick research on git and mercurial to get an overview of them. My main concern with git is that it appears to have poor support for Windows - need to install cygwin or similar, limited GUI tools (probably worse than for CVS), and possibly no integration with the standard Windows source code control architecture which is used by a lot of applications to integrate with version control software. It sounds like mercurial has better Windows support, at least as far as GUI tools are concerned (but I don't know whether it integrates with the Windows SCC mechanism).

I expect that a fairly high proportion of LWIP users are running Windows as their development platform. Since LWIP users have limited exposure to the VCS (mostly just fetching HEAD), limited Windows support in git may be less of an issue.

The question really should be what suits the developers. How many of the developers are running on Windows, and of them, how many have used either git or mercurial on Windows?

If my concerns about git on Windows are unfounded then it is probably best to go with whichever system is more familiar to the active developers.