[Mldonkey-users] Enough is enough! Please read this!

From: Peter Mueller
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Enough is enough! Please read this!
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 01:40:18 +0100

Hi all,

now begins a very long posting, but I hope that *you*
read it. I wrote about 3 hours on it!

I'm a very big fan of open sources, but I wrote
this on  my corp. notebook on WinXP. Please
excuse MS Outlook Express formatting
strange- & madness!

I'm Peter from Germany and I'm using mldonkey since
v1.15 (circa spring 2002). First on linux, now on freebsd.
I used it always 24/7 on my server. I started with the
original edonkey client since the german telekom
has provided their ISDN flatrate, later I used the
german telekom ADSL flatrate called T-DSL.

I read (--> lurked) nearly all interesting  articles at
"eDonkey2000 Forum - Linux - NIX"  at
forums.edonkey2000.com in the past 4 months,
because I'm interested in the howtos of such a p2p
system. I think open source p2p is the future.
I lurked in this list-archive online every day.

Mostly I use the CVS versions, first on linux and later on freebsd.
I really thank mldonkey to create such a power- and useful tool!

My downloadrate gets *lower and lower*, but thats okay; its all
for free (what most users forget IMHO!) and I like to share my
shit with others too. No problem, because I'm anyway mostly long
time in the office and couldn't use  my system at home, why not to
share with others. I do this p2p stuff far far far over a year now.

"Sum downloads = sum uploads" is often read in some sigs and
its the truth, I do it so.

But since end of August 2002 it really makes no more fun. I hardly get
any "vacation-video" downloaded and look it relaxed on my TV with
dvd-player. And this, dear readers, is honestly my first reason making
p2p stuff: I want too see after work from time to time relaxed the
vacation vids stuff on my TV, often rare vacation-movies, not so
much mainstream. I'm only honest.

The second reason is, that I run my server because of mail & news
anyway 24/7 and why  not let him do a second job like p2p.

But upload rates gets higher & higher and I noticed that there is
a will to cut all the features of mldonkey to please lugdunummaster
and Jeb.

My question is:

What must happen (lugdunummaster, forums.edonkey2000.com, emule)
that mldonkey and his helpers are checking that

                   WE  ARE  NOT  WELCOME !?!

But who spread the whole shit like brandnew vacation videos?

- Emule users ?
- Original edonkey users on Windows systems?

I think not. Emule Users only share because of their credit system.

Freaks like us spread the things! We look that our local nameserver
run perfectly, we run our squid, our sendmail, our fetchmail, our
leafnode a.s.o. We CHECK our logfiles on regulary base, we are
proud to run a 24/7 system built up with open source, we are proud
that we (mostly) know what & how to do to run a stable system
connected 24/7 to internet.

We are using open source, we *really* want to share because we have
understood what sharing, what freedom, means. We read (!) HOWTOS,
newsgroups, mailing-lists, bulletin boards to *understand* our systems.
We want to understand whats goes behind the scenes.

All the windows users that I know gives a shit of this p2p idea. When
they read they only want to know what are the newest vacation vids
& how to get them faster than the rest. Its a shame when I read about
anti-agressive blocking in emule; most emule users are these agressors
because they don't interested in the p2p idea!

Here some examples of the my german reality:

- My neighbour burned about 130 vacation vids, all downloaded with the
original client, nowadays with emule. He gives a shit to the p2p idea
that stands behind. He always deleted the vids after download & burning
on CDR, Whatever I pray to him. I run my shit on an old Pentium MMX
with 128 MB RAM and a 40 GB HDD running on Freebsd. He runs
a P4 System with about 2x 80GB HDD and 512MB RAM. He has
enough HDD capacity and he uses a ADSL flatrate, too.

- The same ol' story in the office: All are using emule, sharing is not
in, but leeching with the highest rates is nowadays like penis
enlargement...They laugh to me when i come with my
"nobility of p2p ideals"...

- The shop were I regular buy my water & softdrinks: The salesman
uses AOL flat (AOL... saying it all, isnt it?) and read in the german
computer issue CHIP how to enable emule. He even didn't understand
me when I explained that p2p is no oneyway, that he must upload, too.

You know what OPEL MANTA CLUB means? OPEL MANTA CLUB
means nowadays simply "Windows edonkey users".

Think clear:

- The original edonkey stuff is *commercial*. If you wrote a commercial
p2p system  you really don't want any "unofficial tool" (this is the
quotation of "bagpuss" who closed with other word the above named
forum for mldonkey users). Unofficial tools cut the possible profit of a
commercial system.

That are my experiences of the past 1-2 years.

You know in beetween, watching vacation vids was my first motivation.
But I couldn't explain it exactly, slowly I understood that p2p is a
possible
future of networks and is irresistible, nobody can stop worldwide such a
system. It has more power than sharing only ordinary files like vids,
progs and soft.

            It  should  not  be  commercial!!!

Don't give to much what lugdunumaster & jeb is thinking. Don't
reprogram *your* mldonkey client like *they* want him! They do
their own biz, they don't want *you* and they don't want *us*,
that is *now* really clearly viewable.

Think about it!

greets

Peter