Re: [Mldonkey-users] Enough is enough! Please read this!

From: Steffen Solyga
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Enough is enough! Please read this!
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 00:04:30 +0100

Citing Peter Mueller (Wednesday, 2002/11/06  1:40)...

> You know in beetween, watching vacation vids was my first motivation.
> But I couldn't explain it exactly, slowly I understood that p2p is a
> possible
> future of networks and is irresistible, nobody can stop worldwide such a
> system. It has more power than sharing only ordinary files like vids,
> progs and soft.
>
>             It  should  not  be  commercial!!!

You're right. P2P is _it_. I still cannot understand why p2p
developers behave like companies because I don't see any business
model. File sharing smells like copyright violation. And thus,
I thought, it cannot be commercial. Btw. did you read
http://freenetproject.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Main/Philosophy
? - Citing:

You cannot guarantee freedom of speech and enforce copyright law

IMHO, however, it's possible to stop filesharing. The worse the
protocol, the easier to stop the network. Only encrypted p2p is
really hard to stop because nobody ever knows what you're leeching.
Examples are freenet http://freenetproject.org and entropy
http://entropy.stop1984.com/. There's no control of what's going
in and what's going out, but there's also no control of what's
currently in the network. This is a heavy drawback from my point
of view: Nobody can guarantee that a certain file is available.
That's not what I want :-(

> Don't give to much what lugdunumaster & jeb is thinking. Don't
> reprogram *your* mldonkey client like *they* want him! They do
> their own biz, they don't want *you* and they don't want *us*,
> that is *now* really clearly viewable.

Right again.

Steffen Solyga
mail: address@hidden