[Monotone-devel] Re: Problems compiling on Solaris 9 with GCC 3.3.2

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problems compiling on Solaris 9 with GCC 3.3.2
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:11:46 -0500

Will Robertson wrote:
I'm having problems getting Boost to compile -- which may be related to GCC3 on Solaris defaulting to using Solaris 'ld' (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) which has problems with GCC3's translation of -shared & -static together -- but it only seems to be a problem in the test-suite. I know I might be posting to the wrong list, but does anyone have any ideas how to persuade it to use GNU ld, for a start, but also whether it even matters to Monotone if this part of Boost hasn't worked? And thridly whether Monotone has any similar dependencies on GNU ld?

well, you can always hack the solution up with a shell script in $PATH called 'ld' which does 'exec /path/to/gnu/ld $*' but that's pretty terrible. otherwise, hm.. which part of boost exactly is having this failure? libboost_unit_test_framework.a? we only need that for building unit_tests, so you could do without I suppose.

I'll keep trying in the meantime, but I'd appreciate any pointers, or helpful retelling of experiences.