[Monotone-devel] static stuff (was Re: Problems compiling on Solaris 9 w

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] static stuff (was Re: Problems compiling on Solaris 9 with GCC 3.3.2)
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:31:20 -0500

Patrick Mauritz wrote:

same for monotone later, just configure with --enable-shared (doesn't work
otherwise
as pthreads and some other stuff doesn't exist as static libraries on solaris)

fwiw, I've posted changes to my depot recently to permit configure --enable-static-boost which scrounges around for libboost*.a and adds them to the list of objects in the link, but otherwise links dynamically against system libs. this appears to be the best I can do given the OS-level hostility to static linking currently in vogue: it creates a monotone which only depends dynamically on common things like libc, libpthreads, and popt.

future "static" builds (the .bz2 builds for example) will probably be posted this way. the RPMs and debs will probably wind up fully dynamic, since the OS vendors all provide boost now.

-graydon