Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problems compiling on Solaris 9 with GCC 3.3.2

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problems compiling on Solaris 9 with GCC 3.3.2
Date: 16 Dec 2003 09:43:33 -0700

>> I know I might be posting to the wrong list, but does anyone have
>> any  ideas how to persuade it to use GNU ld, for a start, but also
>> whether  it even matters to Monotone if this part of Boost hasn't
>> worked?  And  thridly whether Monotone has any similar dependencies
>> on GNU ld?

graydon> well, you can always hack the solution up with a shell script
graydon> in $PATH called 'ld' which does 'exec /path/to/gnu/ld $*' but
graydon> that's pretty terrible.

This may not work.  I don't know the situation now, not having worked
on a non-Linux box in a few years, but previously the choice of ld was
made when configuring gcc, and actually changed gcc's behavior.

You have to install GNU ld, put it in $PATH, then rebuild gcc from
scratch.  You may need to configure with --with-gnu-ld.

Another possibility is to figure out how monotone should pass
-static/-shared or equivalent options for the Sun ld, then either see
if there is a way to do this that also works with GNU ld, or use
configure to select the switches.

Tom