nuxeo-localizer

Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] Announcement: HowTo for CMF and Localizer

From: Myroslav Opyr
Subject: Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] Announcement: HowTo for CMF and Localizer
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 23:11:11 +0300

Florent Guillaume wrote:

Myroslav Opyr  <address@hidden> wrote:
Not exactly Plone folks. Zope guys are backportin i18n from Zope3 to Zope 2 architecture. It is expected to be in Zope 2.7 (or 2.8). Plone is being developed with focused approach. They needed i18n in PT. Existing PT did not satisfied needs because of poor extensibility of namespaces. Thus AltPT project appeared. And AltPT-i18n plugin Product.AltPT are slower right now but there's much space for improvements. And AltPT are working for Plone right now, that is what was necessary for Plone i18n effort to explode. Plone is being translated in tenth languages right now.
I too needs i18n in PT, but I don't think branching another brand new
implementation of TAL&PT is the right way.

It is not branching. It is alternative implementation. TAL, TALES and METAL are standards developed and adopted by community. If there are several implementations and there are resources to keep them up-to date, then alternative implementation should be considered as oprion to choose. AltPT right now has better architecture as allows easy extending.

Sure, it's great hack value,
but considering that the i18n of Zope 2.7 today is already working,

AltPT is not only about i18n but for more to come.

I am
using it (and with Plone, too).

You do but far not everyone. We are not able to offer customers product untill it reach stable stage. Support would become nightmare. AltPT has much more testing (and using) audience then Zope.CVS right now. In short time (by the end of the month) we'll be able to offer Ukrainian Plone! And that matters!

Today or tomorrow I'll be putting together code that makes it possible
to use 2.7 TAL&PT with Localizer, and a translation_service tool that
2.7 i18n can use and that plugs into Localizer's message catalogs.

Excellent! That level of flexibility is _must_ if future of Zope.

m.
--
Myroslav Opyr
zope.net.ua <http://zope.net.ua/> ° Ukrainian Zope Hosting