Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

From: c.
Subject: Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 20:38:38 +0100

On 11 Feb 2014, at 16:39, Linux User <address@hidden> wrote:

> After thinking about this coding issue for some time and going back to
> our previous discussions, I have finally concluded that I am no help
> to this project. It sounds like to me that the one and only reason why
> Octave developers have not implemented class like functionality such
> as [1] and [2] is because classdef does not exist,

classdef does exist in Octave and, although it is still under development, but
I think
now would be a good time to start testing it by attempting the implementation
of a reasonably complex project based on it.

> which means once
> Octave developers have classdef complete they will immediately just
> copy and paste their solutions for every missing class function from
> Matlab to Octave, rendering me obsolete.

I really wish it really were a matter of just cut and paste!

I actually think a matlab compatible implementation of the
delaunayTriangulation class would be a quite complex project.

To make it more complete I would suggest adding the implementaion of the
closely related scatteredInterpolant class:
http://www.mathworks.it/it/help/matlab/ref/scatteredinterpolantclass.html

> My skills as a programmer are better suited to solving math or phyiscs
> related problems, like creating the method functionality for [1] and
> [2], not so much on creating the architecture after the functionality
> is complete. This is another reason why I think I am obsolete.

Most projects proposed for Octave (exept maybe those related to the GUI)
do require a good mathematical background, but to produce useful results
you should have (or be willing to acquire) some non trivial software
engineering / development / collaboration skills.

c.