Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Serious PHPGroupware

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Serious PHPGroupware
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 22:20:25 -0700

Miles Lott wrote:
I reckon I am feeling fiesty as well.  But that's not a great leap
for me as you may know.  BTW, I am now solely an outside observer of
this project.

I want to thank you for all the effort your have put into the project over the years. It is not secret that you and I have not always gotten along and we have had some rather bitter battles amoungst ourselves (which is one of the reasons I stayed away for awhile). However, your contribution to the project will always be remembered and appreciated. I wish your new project all the sucess in the world as well as yourself in general. Good bye and farewell.

Now for a little reply to what was said in the remainder of this email....

Sorry, no further details from me in this forum.

<fake_cough>  http://www.milosch.net/mgp/  </fake_cough>

Anyway, I will also take the bait.

Dan Kuykendall wrote:

As far as handing it off, who has even shown a tiny bit of the
leadership to take over the project? If I saw someone who wanted and
showed that they could run it better and put more energy into the
project, then the rest of the developers would naturally follow behind
this person. I do not "own" the project, I am just do what I can to help

The project is not his to hand off, unless the rest of the remaining
'core team' allow it.  Glad to see you finally state this fact.

I have been very public about the change to the "core team" change we did last year.

BTW, I may not be a leader, but I understand well the importance of a
dissenting opinion.  I also understand the importance of not throwing
molitov cocktails into the code base.

Just because I ignored your opinion doesnt mean you should get all pissed off <hehehe> Now seriously, I am not perfect with this, but I honestly do my best to listen to others ideas and take all of them into consideration. But I will agree that this is something I can continue to grow in.

Dont forget that a year ago it became clear that my new job was not
going to allow me as much time for the project, so I stopped being the
single "leader" of the project and instead we switched to a coreteam of
five that were the "leadership team". Even then things havent picked up
because everyones time tends to get cut into by other responsibilities.

Let's not confuse everyone.  It was not your decision to create the core
leadership team.

At the time it was not my idea to do this... it was yours. But it was my decision. I could have forced you guys to fork the project since I do own the domain, and controlled the sourceforge project and all that. If I remember correctly I would have had Jengos support as well.

> In fact you fought it tooth and nail.

Again, this is not true. I fought YOU tooth and nail, but I understood that I could not run the project on my own and that something needed to be done.

I cannot
explain why people continue to follow you, but that is their choice.

hehe... I cant explain this either... But I am glad that they do and that I have be apart of such an amazing project

just to understand
where the project is going and in what time frame.  It's a great project
with alot of potential that I feel is stifled in a pre-1.0 state for
some unknown set of reasons.

Those reasons were primarily a ridiculously long release schedule
brought
about in part by the following (as stated above):  jengo's hiatus,
dan's,
skeeter's, ceb's, and my irl jobs.  That and the bickering about the
email
app, gif vs. png, and the coreteam arrangement.  Oh, and the fact that i
am too rough on new developers, so they say.

Yes, there have been many reasons. Free Software projects which are lead and developed by volunteers are not able to depend on having an idea development and release cycle. Just how it works out.

I agree that this is a great project and this pre-1.0 crap needs to end.
I have made it known several times over the last two months that I
intend that the next release be 1.0. Here is an email I sent out a few
weeks ago. I have more to follow up on this and will send out more about
this later.

What is clear is that you 'intend' to make something happen via public
opinion
instead of by way of the voting standard which was agreed upon.
>  This is
> not
> a shock to me.  Again, I cannot explain why the others seem to fall in
> line.
> Maybe they don't, but it is hard to tell when they are largely silent.

You have said yourself over the last few months and in the above lines that the core team is not really working out for various reasons. So public opinion is what is left to me as well as my own development goals. Hopefully the coreteam will be able to get back together and get things moving along again.

I have been active again and doing lots of development work in the background with some new ideas. I will be putting some more of these in CVS over the next couple of days in hopes that this project can get some new life and vigor. Right now phpGW basicly works very well and we need new ideas and new developer blood to make it more interesting.

I have taken a good healthy break from the project and am all fired up about development. So all this bikkering aside, I see a great future for phpGW.

Seek3r