Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Serious PHPGroupware

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Serious PHPGroupware
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 23:53:36 -0700

Michael Meskes wrote:
On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 10:20:25PM -0700, Dan Kuykendall wrote:

I reckon I am feeling fiesty as well.  But that's not a great leap
for me as you may know.  BTW, I am now solely an outside observer of
this project.

I want to thank you for all the effort your have put into the project over the years. It is not secret that you and I have not always gotten along and we have had some rather bitter battles amoungst ourselves (which is one of the reasons I stayed away for awhile). However, your contribution to the project will always be remembered and appreciated. I wish your new project all the sucess in the world as well as yourself in general. Good bye and farewell.

I'm stunned about what's going on in this project behind the scenes!

heh. All families have fights

You have said yourself over the last few months and in the above lines that the core team is not really working out for various reasons. So public opinion is what is left to me as well as my own development goals. Hopefully the coreteam will be able to get back together and get things moving along again.

This certainly does not create faith in the future development for me.

I think the future is bright for phpGW. I am not alone in my excitement about forging forward for the next release to be 1.0.

> Hey, aren't we all here share a common goal?

In general yes, but there are lots of people with lots of ideas. Its all about working together to suit the needs of as many as possible without spreading so thin as to not suit anyones needs.

I have been active again and doing lots of development work in the background with some new ideas. I will be putting some more of these in CVS over the next couple of days in hopes that this project can get some new life and vigor. Right now phpGW basicly works very well and we need new ideas and new developer blood to make it more interesting.

Actually it needs quite some bug fixing and even more integration
between modules.

Agreed. Thats part of the changes I am working on with the rest of the team

And most of all it needs less war behind the scenes.

Agreed. I am going to be happy to have all of this behind us.

Sorry couldn't resist. I really like the software and I'm doing free
software for almost 10 years now, but I do not recall a similar
situation.

I have seen it plenty of times. I have seen this problem cause several results: they end up forking, fading away or end up getting re-focused. I am personally getting re-focused and plan to help the project move that direction.

Seek3r