Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Serious PHPGroupware

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Serious PHPGroupware
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 22:42:26 -0700

Patrick J. Walsh (mr_e) wrote:
Well, yikes, I had no idea that there was this kind of animosity behind the scenes.

Its always bound to happen in a large project. Oh well.

 I've been involved in this project on and off as
time allows for several years now and I've never had a problem with Dan's leadership. I'm concerned that e-mails like this will scare him away from the task.

It did for most of the last year. I was around, but really wasnt in the mood to have to fight about every issue, so I just kept in the background. I switched jobs a month ago and decided to just get back into phpGW more heavily with all my new ideas and goals and see what I could do to make the project more exciting. I am also relieved that Milosch has started his own project for several reasons. I wont have to deal with our constant clashes, I know he probably has not enjoyed the stress a single bit either, and it gives up a good point to get things back on track and put this all behind us.

Instead, I believe, we should all be thanking him for an otherwise thankless task.

I get plenty of thanks from all the happy users and just being apart of such a great project. Even more imporantly I am not nearly the only one to thank. Jengo, Milosch, ceb and skeeter have all done as much as I have to make this project what it is. For everyone thats out there enjoying 0.9.14, it is only released because of skeeter and ceb, I had almost nothing to do with either the development or getting the code readt for the release.

We're talking about a large project with a huge number of goals. Instead of just a web-based groupware application, it is aimed at being a platform for other groupware applications, web-based or not. I think phpGroupWare 1.0 would have been released a year or more ago if not for this ambitious (and worthy) goal.

Agreed

The key to helping the project move forward at a good pace is to find ways to help Dan and also to help individual app developers. There needs to be a way for individual application developers to have a release schedule independent of the main phpgw app schedule. They also need to have pages on the phpgroupware web site for providing downloads and information. The new SiteMgr app will facilitate this. I'm hoping that the SiteMgr app's ability to grant specific users write permissions to particular pages will pay off by making the web site more up to date and allowing developers to state what they're working on and when they expect it to be done. If Dan (or a committee, which is even worse) doesn't have to be the central clearing house for this kind of thing, more work can get done.

I agree. I think that sitemgr will really help in allowing developers of various apps to have their own sub-site that they can control. It will also help us in that we are now eating our own dog food in a very meaningful way. I plan to do some statistics on how the app holds up to the load we get to our site.

Anyway, I think the 0.9.14 release is very good and all of the core developers, leadership, and etc. deserve some applause.

As mentioned, skeeter and ceb deserve the credit for getting 0.9.14 finally released.

Seek3r