Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] My ISP

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] My ISP
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 23:32:00 -0600

> >> Oh yeah, you should be able to associate an email domain with a group.
> >
> >I don't know what this means
> Dave said,"This is not currently possible. The best way to deal with it would
> be
> to a seperate "phpgw domain" for each mail domain."
> Managing it this way would be ok if you're talking tens of domains but it
> could get
> a little intense if you're talking hundreds.  This is just a little ISP, just
> a few
> hundred customers.  Maybe a couple of dozen domains.  This will work for him
> as it
> is now.
> I know this is for another time.  I'm just trying to put a bug in your ear
> for now.

For an ISP that wants to host different phpgw installs, one phpgw domain
for each client, one internet domain per client. Phpgw works fine out of
the box. Only one phpgw install will handle all of them (if the db box
is big enough, it should even scale fairly fine).

Now thats the trick, phpgw has this feature called phpgw domains. You
can create domains (client deployments) through the header
administration interface in setup. Then youll see a box in the login
page that lets you choose domains. By default phpgw will map that domain
to the email domains and all. So this is definitivly the way to go.

One group per client (per hosted internet domain) is NOT a good idea. It
would mean one phpgw domain for all of them, so they would see all users
in the calendar and stuff....bad idea.