Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] My ISP

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] My ISP
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:06:39 +1100

Bob Crandell <address@hidden> wrote:

> Chris Weiss (address@hidden) wrote:
> >
> >Bob Crandell (address@hidden) wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm setting up a phpGroupWare version 0.9.14.512 demo site for
> my local ISP.  He
> >> really likes it.  So far I haven't run into any show stoppers
> which is a good thing.
> >>  Yes?
> >
> >yes!  a few details and .16 will be ready for prime time. Most
> people can use
> >it as is right now, it's quite stable.
> >

> >> What I would like to see is the ability to copy a group.  For
> example, set up the
> >> Default group just the way you like it.  Now copy it to other
> groups.  Make a
> >> few, if any, changes and just add users.
> >
> >hm, a group can belong to another group right?
> No.  Use some group as a master, click a "Copy" button to create a
> new group that
> has all the attributes and give it a different name.  Wahlah!  New
> group already
> configured.

What is the purpose of copying the group?  Really I see very little
benefit from this feature.

If it is to grant access to apps.  Then simply create a group for each
app and add the users to that group - messy but will work.

> >> Adding users with the phpGroupWare interface should add a Linux
> user.  Deleting a
> >> user should have the _option_ of deleting that user's home
> directory.  I seem to
> >> have a vague recollection of someone asking about this in the
> distant past.
> >
> >This is a whole lot harder than it sounds, but I have a working
> add-on in the
> >shadows which does exactly this.  I'll tidy it up as soon as I
> finish an
> >unrelated project and put it in CVS.
> This admin is a Windows kind of guy.  The fewer interfaces he has
> to deal with the
> less confused he'll be.
> Adding a Linux user is working in Webmin.  I'm glad your's is
> close to working too.
> I'm planning on implimenting LDAP but neither phpGroupWare nor I
> am ready for that yet.

fips @ probiz is currently working on fixing the LDAP support in 16 for
us.  From what I have heard we should see something pretty soon.  As for
setting up LDAP - I used to stuff it up all the time, but once you have
done it once it is easy.  Run up a simple debian woody box, grab a howto
and play.  If you stuff it up start over :)

For an ISP which is hosting so many things, LDAP would make life a lot
easier.  Maybe check out - http://ispman.sourceforge.net/