Re: [RP] Re: Ratpoison-devel digest, Vol 1 #248 - 12 msgs

From: Eduard Werner
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: Ratpoison-devel digest, Vol 1 #248 - 12 msgs
Date: Sun Feb 17 01:40:01 2002

> > Looks like the best solution so far. After switching to VMware with C-t -
> > it doesn't get sluggish. (Isn't it funny how one single piece of commercial
> > software can really thoroughly spoil working with computers ...)
> >
> > It still would be interesting to know what's so subtlely different in
> > rp 1.0.0 and 1.0.1
>
> The difference is when RP gets a ConfigureRequest it doesn't grant the
> request, instead it insists that the window stay maximized. The
> problem with this was that some apps with resize increment hints would
> get caught in an infinite resize loop. So I changed it so RP grants
> the configure request and then immediately after it maximizes the
> window again. This seems to work flawlessly with every app I can
> install on my machine...but VMWare for whatever reason doesn't like
> it. The best thing would be to look at their source and...oh,
> right...nevermind :(

I have some suggestions (mind me, I don't have much programming experience, so
I might easily say sth silly here):

1. I think UNMANAGED_WINDOW_LIST should go away from conf.h but it should be
available
   at runtime like "ratpoison -c exec-unmanaged vmware -vmware-options". That
would be
   more flexible since different users are experiencing different problems with
programs
   they unfortunately can't recompile.
2. Maybe it would help to have a third thing between managed and unmanaged:
managed but
   unconfigured by ratpoison? These windows would get granted their configure
request without
   maximizing them afterwards again so they could work the way they want. For
VMware, RP's
   old behaviour seems to have been the right thing.

So that seems to make four possibilities which don't even look too complicated
to me (feel free
to correct me):

1. managed by ratpoison, configure requests granted, then maximized (the
default)
2. configure requests not granted, stay maximized
3. configure requests granted, not maximized
4. unmanaged

Options 2-4 should be available as exec-variations from the command line as
well as
in .ratpoisonrc, e.g.

unmanaged "xbiff","xscribble"
no_configure_requests "VMware Workstation", "squeak"
no_maximize "xv" # not maximizing might keep xv from distorting the view

Cheers

Edi