Re: [RP] Re: Ratpoison-devel digest, Vol 1 #248 - 12 msgs

From: Eduard Werner
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: Ratpoison-devel digest, Vol 1 #248 - 12 msgs
Date: Sun Feb 17 13:19:04 2002

> All these ideas seem to stem from the problem that VMWare doesn't work
> correctly with Ratpoison. Let's remember that VMWare, IIRC, is not
> free software. For this reason, I am not interested in introducing
> sick hacks into ratpoison just so junk software "works". I am only
> interested in VMWare because it may be exposing a bug in ratpoison.

I also found xli to work on *one* of my machines only if it's unmanaged
- on the other it works ok although it's the same linux distribution.
However, it would be nice to have these unmanaged windows still turn
up in the window list, so you can easily switch to them and see where
some of them are running. This is completely undependent of VMware.

Of course, *my* problem *now* is mainly VMware. But I guess there will
always be programs that will not like being forced to fullscreen mode one
way or the other so it would be nice to have this configurable. Even if this
is a bug in those programs and not ratpoison, there will be people needing them
and wanting to use them w.o. debugging them first. I'm only talking about
flexibility of configuration. I also can't see *six* hacks.
UNMANAGED_WINDOW_LIST
is a hack the way it is now, so I'm talking about removing a hack there.
The other suggestion was *maintaining* the old (1.0.0) and the new (1.0.1-cvs)
way
of managing a window so you can choose what works better with your application,
which is not introducing anything new. Or am I missing something here.

> I strongly suggest you stop using VMWare. Its nothing but bad news. It
> is non-free gateway software: A non-free piece of software designed to
> allow you to run more non-free software.

Thanks for a completely unhelpful suggestion :-) I'm not using VMware because I
*choose* to but because I also need my computer to get some work done and one
important project I didn't start myself only runs with a certain version of
MSWord
and certain fonts I couldn't get to work with wine the way they should. :-(
Like it or not, things like these are also likely to occur as hardly anybody is
completely free with regard to the software they have to use.

> That said, the UNMANAGED_WINDOW_LIST in conf.h should be made more
> accessible. But it's just not a very high priority. I'll accept
> patches to fix it tho :)

I'll see whether I can find the time to do (or at least try) it.

Cheers

Edi