[Savannah-hackers] Re: SPAM on the gnu.org mailing-list

From: Ward Vandewege
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:42:08 +0200

Hi Mathieu,

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 02:18:36PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Several weeks ago, it was said that something will be done about spam
> on gnu.org mailing-list.

Yes. We are still working on it. The new setup was delayed by the compromise
of fencepost, as fixing that became the top priority for Paul and others
@ FSF.

Also, we have decided to move to exim 4, which has more spam-fighting
features, but does require reworking of the 3.x configuration files. This
takes some time, too.

> A mailing-list was created to discuss and get news about it.
> I subscribed to this list and maybe 2 mails has been sent on this list
> since its creation.

Valid point. I will write an overview of the current status to that list
sometime later today.

> Mailman seems to have been recently reinstalled (or something like
> this) after the fencepost compromission. Now, on every mailing-list
> archives, complete email adresses of posters are shown, despite the
> fact that mailing-list admins set the privacy options to hide those
> emails.
>
> About 40 % of my daily mail is spam. About 95 % of this spam comes from
> :
>       - gnu.org hosted mailing-list
>       - email adress found at gnu.org hosted mailing-list archives.
>
> Please, help!

We're doing our best, please bear with us...

Bye for now,
Ward.

--
It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips. -- Garfield