Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: SPAM on the gnu.org mailing-list

From: Paul Fisher
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:52:31 -0400

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 01:33:07PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:

> It's not fair to archive mails and put on the web theses mails with
> complete email address if the policy of the official archive is to hide
> these emails.

There's no way that we can prevent people from doing this.  If someone
is on a public mailing list, and they receive an email, they can do
whatever they want with that email message.

> mail.gnu.org is really a good url for the ones that use
> automated-spam softwares.

Yes, and as long as you have an @gnu.org address, you'll be protected
for various reasons (after the anti-spam server goes online) and
shouldn't have to worry about the spambots.  If you don't have an
@gnu.org address, emails from the bots obviously won't pass through
our anti-spam server, so in the end, we'll probably have to do some
sort of name mangling.

> Modifying email address will maybe not resolve all problems, but I
> do not think it's useless. And since it's not complicated to provide
> this feature -it seems to be a mailman feature-, I think we should.

A real solution (for all mailing lists everywhere and all mail
archives) is to use TMDA for sending outgoing mail, and use a dated or
sender address <URL:http://www.tmda.net/config-client.html>