Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: SPAM on the gnu.org mailing-list

From: Paul Fisher
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:17:12 -0400

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 09:34:53AM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:

> Anyway, in any case the email address shouldn't be showned as it exist
> (but modifyed, for example rao .AT. gnu .DOT. org   - in a way that
> does not help robots to fetch it) .

I seriously doubt the effectiveness of simple name mangling.  It is
also the case that anyone on a mailing list can archive the list and
put it up on the web.  There are people that already do this.

> This shouldn't be an option for mailling-list admin since every user
> that write to a @gnu.org mailing-list should have the garanty that
> everything possible to avoid spam is done.

Until our setup becomes heavily modified, adding an "X-Archive: No"
header to your emails will keep them from from being archived at GNU,
and at other places that archive our lists (and use sane software).

Our anti-spam server has TMDA <http://tmda.net/> integrated into it,
and I'd like to use it to support the "X-Archive: encrypt" header that
GMANE is supporting <http://gmane.org/tmda.php>.