Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: SPAM on the gnu.org mailing-list

From: Mathieu Roy
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:33:07 +0200

I seriously doubt the effectiveness of simple name mangling.  It is
also the case that anyone on a mailing list can archive the list and
put it up on the web.  There are people that already do this.

It's not fair to archive mails and put on the web theses mails with complete email address if the policy of the official archive is to hide these emails. (BTW, I do not understand why this people does not just create a mirror of this mailings-list...)

Anyway, I do not think that thoses archives are famous like the url mail.gnu.org. mail.gnu.org is really a good url for the ones that use automated-spam softwares.

Modifying email address will maybe not resolve all problems, but I do not think it's useless. And since it's not complicated to provide this feature -it seems to be a mailman feature-, I think we should.

The spam is really a pain for many different reasons. Everything that could be done against should be done. Also, some people expressed the desire to have their email hide. Since it's possible, it should be done.

> This shouldn't be an option for mailling-list admin since every user
> that write to a @gnu.org mailing-list should have the garanty that
> everything possible to avoid spam is done.

Until our setup becomes heavily modified, adding an "X-Archive: No"
header to your emails will keep them from from being archived at GNU,
and at other places that archive our lists (and use sane software).

Our anti-spam server has TMDA <http://tmda.net/> integrated into it,
and I'd like to use it to support the "X-Archive: encrypt" header that
GMANE is supporting <http://gmane.org/tmda.php>.

I do not want block archiving of my mails.