self-platform-dev

Re: [Self-platform-dev] Re: [teg] Self-Platform Updates (Tentative Versi

From: Federico Heinz
Subject: Re: [Self-platform-dev] Re: [teg] Self-Platform Updates (Tentative Version Control UI)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:43:33 +0000

On 14/02/2008, Nagarjuna G. wrote:
>        5. Version tree interpretation is as follows:
> >
> >                * Newly created version always come under its parent
> >                version.
> >
> >                  V0.1
> >                      -V0.2
> >                           -V1.0(if you say commit to V0.2)
> >
> As long as the changes are linear, it is better to show them as follows:
> [-] 0.0 - 0.1 - 0.2  -1.0 - 1.1 2.0
> [-] 1.3 - 1.4 - 1.5 - 3.0
> Then we can have only one line for each branch.  Let me know what others
> think.  Every change is now appearing as a branch.

Well, actually, every change *is* a branch, only in most cases is appears to be
the only branch.

I assume that Bipin did it that way (I don't know, since the system crashed on
me when I tried it) because that's the way the standard tree widget works.
Those are usually limited to one object per line. I do think that Nagarjuna's
suggestion is better, I don't know how hard it will be to implement.

Remember, however, that screens usually are wider than they are tall, which
makes a layout such as the one Nagarjuna suggested very useful. But the
two-pane layout used throughout the platform means that our display surfaces
usually are taller than they are wide, and so it might make sense to have the
tree grow downwards from the top, instead of rightwards from the left.

        Fede