self-platform-dev

Re: [Self-platform-dev] Re: [teg] Self-Platform Updates (Tentative Versi

From: Wouter Tebbens
Subject: Re: [Self-platform-dev] Re: [teg] Self-Platform Updates (Tentative Version Control UI)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:12:18 +0100

Nagarjuna G. wrote:
On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Federico Heinz <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Well, actually, every change *is* a branch, only in most cases is
    appears to be
    the only branch.

"every change is a branch" to my understanding is not correct and will mislead. Your sense of 'actully' and 'in most cases' is not helping me at all. Please make it clear, what you meant.

My understanding is as follows:

A branch gets created when a change is made not to the recent object, but to an older one. each branch can grow linearly till someone deviates by selecting an ancient descendant in that branch. By default we consider the root as the first branch. This is our understanding. the storage algorithm that is implemented in the backend tracks each objects' history. We are calculating the branches by taking the history of each object.

I think you both mean the same, only Nagarjuna defines it in more detail. I think it makes sense like that.

Are we going wrong?

I think the logic seems fine, but the challenge is at the User Interface. I did perform an edit (first a save and then a publish) to the LO "Hydrological Regions". And it presents V0.1 and V1.0 in the versions tab. I see that the system keeps track of the versions, so for that: applause!

The difference between "save" and "publish" can be rather unclear to many new users. We should think of a way to make that clearer.

And we should follow the UI designs from Niyam and nclude ome improvements on top of them, like have been commented on the list.

I will do more serious testing later.

Best,

Wouter