Re: [Simulavr-devel] simulavr on 'bsd

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] simulavr on 'bsd
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 23:29:21 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, address@hidden wrote:

:)just tried to compile simulavr on netbsd 1.5.1 again.
:)
:)it does pretty well on portability. but a couple things appear broken:
:)
:)1) ../simulavr/src/disp/disp.c:541: undefined reference to `resizeterm'
:)      this is an ncurses thing, and netbsd doesn't grok ncurses that well.
:)      it's theoretically possible to install ncurses, but i've never been
able to.
:)      i'd suggest replacing it with some curses least-common-denominator,
:)      if such a thing exists.

I've looked into this and it doesn't look like there's a way to implement
terminal resizing without using resizeterm(). I will admit that it could
be done if you worked with the internals of the window struct but I ain't
gonna do that since it would be even less portable than using resizeterm.

I can do a little hack to make it compile, but I don't think it's really
worth it. If a system doesn't have the resizeterm(), you just have to
disable building of disp. If the user really needs a display, there's
always the option of writing a custom app for that system. That's why disp
is a separate program and there's a comm protocol which is documented in
the user manual. I really didn't intend disp to be an end all display
tool, but it is useful for debugging. I wonder if slang or newt is more
portable? Wouldn't hurt to have another tool as a add-on in the future. I
would like to keep the lib dependency to a minimum though.

Ken, you might be interested in this:

  http://www.netbsd.org/Changes/changes-1.6.html#curses(3)

:)
:)2)  on_exit again. i'd hacked main.c to use atexit instead as a workaround.
:)      on_exit appears to be a gnu thing, neither netbsd nor freebsd 4.3 have
it.
:)      atexit semantics are different too, there's no way to pass a void * arg.

Done and checked in. Try it and see if it breaks.

I'll look into these tomorrow. No gaurantees though.

:)3)  texi is a NOP on netbsd. probably makes sense to do an AC_PROGRAM for it,
:)      and fail to ./configure without it, or allow an option to build w/o it.
:)
:)4)  the use of times() in utils.c:get_program_time is broken on netbsd.
:)      compiles fine, but causes segfaults. urk.
:)      the netbsd docs recommend using gettimeofday() instead.

Ted