Re: [Simulavr-devel] simulavr on 'bsd

From: ken restivo
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] simulavr on 'bsd
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:32:54 -0800

thanks! works like a champ, on both linux and netbsd. i built with curses
disabled on netbsd 1.5.1 and enabled on linux. i also manually removed
@ac_doc_subdir@ from the makefile so it wouldn't complain about tex. no prob.
well done.

also, i noticed that simulavr runs several orders of magnitude faster without a
--disp-prog argument. the stuff that display.c is doing doesn't look that
expensive to me, but apparently it is. i'll take a closer look some other time.

again, thanks, and enjoy your vacation!

- -ken
- -------

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 02:04:48PM -0700, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
> I have dealt with all 4 items now and checked in my changes.
>
> Ken:
> Try this on your netbsd system and see if you get a clean configure
> and build.
>
> Reinhard:
> Try it with your build scripts and make sure I didn't break
> anything. I had to muck around with the configure stuff again.
>
> I think the current cvs stuff is really about ready for release of version
> 0.0.13. The only changes I have left to commit are doxygen comment updates
> in display.c. I'll commit those tonight and if no one can find any
> problems, make the release wednesday evening.
>
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, address@hidden wrote:
>
> :)just tried to compile simulavr on netbsd 1.5.1 again.
> :)
> :)it does pretty well on portability. but a couple things appear broken:
> :)
> :)1) ../simulavr/src/disp/disp.c:541: undefined reference to `resizeterm'
> :)    this is an ncurses thing, and netbsd doesn't grok ncurses that well.
> :)    it's theoretically possible to install ncurses, but i've never been
> able to.
> :)    i'd suggest replacing it with some curses least-common-denominator,
> :)    if such a thing exists.
> :)
> :)2)  on_exit again. i'd hacked main.c to use atexit instead as a workaround.
> :)    on_exit appears to be a gnu thing, neither netbsd nor freebsd 4.3 have
> it.
> :)    atexit semantics are different too, there's no way to pass a void * arg.
> :)
> :)3)  texi is a NOP on netbsd. probably makes sense to do an AC_PROGRAM for
> it,
> :)    and fail to ./configure without it, or allow an option to build w/o it.
> :)
> :)4)  the use of times() in utils.c:get_program_time is broken on netbsd.
> :)    compiles fine, but causes segfaults. urk.
> :)    the netbsd docs recommend using gettimeofday() instead.
> :)
> :)and that was it. not too bad, but it won't build and run
> :)out-of-the-box on the bsd's as it stands now. i would guess the
> :)ncurses stuff would be an obstacle on solaris, too, and possibly
> :)on_exit as well.
> :)
> :)-ken
> :)
> :)

- --
One world. Many gods. Plenty for everyone.