Re: [Simulavr-devel] Help with New Example

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Help with New Example
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 16:26:00 -0500

Michael N. Moran wrote:
Joel Sherrill wrote:
But at this point I don't seem to be able to
get the UART data I am transmitting to show up
in the "simfeedback.tcl" program.  It is getting
events but the data is printed as 0.

Yesterday, I was struggling to debug simulavrxx
as realized by the "examples/spi/check.tcl."

Yes.  I wondered how one was supposed to do
that myself.
The best I could do is attach with GDB *after*
starting the simulation with the TCL script.
That doesn't give me much control over the
debugging process, however.

I wonder if it wouldn't be useful to have
an alternate simulavr-tcl executable
which could read a user provided Tcl
file to do the connections.

Ideally it would be possible to use the
same application plugin mechanism for
my simulavr.tcl and the C++ simulavr with
Tcl embedded.

But this is all just thinking now.
This has made me consider duplicating TCL script
component "wiring" using a straight forward C++
main file for debugging purposes.

:)  I wondered about something like this myself
CORBA ORBS have a way to take their arguments
from a command line and leave you others.  So your
main calls "corba_main" and when it returns you
are left with the argv/argc arguments it didn't
interpret.  This would be interesting so there
was a simulavrxx_main framework which could be called
from any C/C++ application.
I am sure
it is my ignorance of the Net connection scheme.

Funny you should mention Net connections. There
was I time a few years ago that I understood their
operation, but after looking at the code for a
few minutes last night I'm as clueless as ever.
This is an area where I was looking while trying
to get the SPI example working.

I think all of this is very close to working.
FWIW I don't see how writing to the SPI registers
(SPDR?) is getting propagated. Maybe there is some unmerged code in your tree.
Maybe I'll get a large enough block of time this
weekend to have a look. Something to do during
the rain ;)

I have some indoor work myself since
Huntsville and Atlanta are in for a rainy
and stormy weekend.

address@hidden        On-Line Applications Research
  Support Available             (256) 722-9985