Re: [Simulavr-devel] Help with New Example

From: Knut Schwichtenberg
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Help with New Example
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 00:00:33 +0100

Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Knut Schwichtenberg wrote:
>> Joel,
>>
>> I tried your example and currently I don't understand your example. And
>> therefore please explain the details.
>> Using 0x20 / 0x21 means PINF and PINE as IO - you can't use these
>> addresses on a
>> M128 without a look to the HW-manual.
>>

> I was trying to copy the stdiodemo to get the UART connected
> to the UI port.  But still use a "magic" port to write debug output.
> I guess I need to switch the magic port to a reserved address.
> The real app (see below) uses two serial ports.
>
> My AVR ignorance is showing. Sorry.
:-)
>> Also "-d" is not interpreted as expected :-((. The X-Windows catches the
>> command-line and removes "-d" as displaynumber. "-D" works if changed.
>>

> -d to what program? I thought simulavr.tcl was handling it ok.
Sorry, it was simulavr.tcl. "simulavr.tcl" can't handle "-d" because it is
removed before "simulavr.tcl" can catch it. Try it on a dual screen machine with
 simulavr.tcl -d :0.1 / -d :0.0.

>> What is the difference between your example and the stdio-example? The
>> main
>> difference I see is the use of the debug channels. And they do not
>> work as
>> expected :-)).
>>

> Right now, not much.  When finished it will show how to write
> a program which provides feedback to the program running on the
> simulated AVR.  In my case, the UART really connects to a PC and
> there is a custom serial protocol.  I will be writing code which talks
> that custom protocol to exercise and debug the AVR program.
Okay, PC communication and a debug output. Tomorrow I hope I can do some
testing.

> I want to configure simulavr to match the user's board and then
> drive all inputs in a way that pushes their application.
Overall I think it might be good to have a schematic for each example to
simplify the connecting the Nets.
>> Please explain by writing your design goals.
>>

> The design goal is to use the UI interface to not have a GUI
> but to interact with the AVR program.  Having a GUI to interact
> with is nice but I am trying to figure out the basics of how to
> interact via the "ui port" so I can build a test facility that is
> aware of the application running and drives it.  It will eventually
> be scripted and allow regression testing of the application.
Are you aware that the DEBUG_*_PORT are available in simulavrxx and not at the
real HW?

> I want to develop as much as possible of this in a generic
> reusable fashion so other users benefit.  No one wants code
> for our custom application but I hope the framework will be useful.
>
> Does that make more sense?
Yes indeed.