Re: Development environment

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Development environment
Date: 10 Jan 2000 00:29:36 -0700

[...]

MY> Have you discovered a user-friendly (so, exit Emacs, for me)
MY> development environment under windows that integrates nicely and
MY> easily with ObjC syntax and cygnus compiler?

MY> (I have already read the FAQ but have not seen anything really
MY> usefull about this topic, the only credible alternative seems to
MY> be Emacs but it is less than user friendly, at least for a stupid
MY> user, with short memory, like me).

Emacs *is* pretty user-friendly these days, IMHO (esp. on an X
terminal with all those nice pull-down menus ;-)).  So, If it's a Java
IDE you're after, you can't go past JDE (the Java Development
Environment):

 http://sunsite.auc.dk/jde/

Here's a partial list of some of things it does (it's all GPL, and I
have no connection to the author, Btw):

       JDE menu with compile, run, debug, build, browse,
         project, and help commands
       syntax coloring
       auto indentation
       compile error to source links
       source-level debugging
       source code browsing
       make file support
       automatic code generation
       Java source interpreter (Pat Neimeyer's BeanShell)

Emacs is still the best, most powerful and customizable editor for
programming around, and with the new customization group interface,
you can do just about everything without having to write a single line
of Emacs Lisp (which is probably the only reason it's sometimes viewed
as non "user friendly").

Give it another shot.

Alex

--