Development environment (BIS)

From: Murat Yildizoglu
Subject: Development environment (BIS)
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 12:07:37 +0100

Thank you very much to all of you for your suggestions and comments.
This message is rather long and if you dont have time, please read at
least the last two (small) paragraphs that contain mys question.

I must admit that my initial question was rather of a practical
nature. Even if I am not very proficient, I had to learn some
languages in the past (computing and natural ones) and I have
remarked that learning a new one is quite easy if the logic of the
new one is similar with the logic of one that I already know. Passing
from C++ to Java or even PhP was not a very heavy burden. I think
this also conditions our sympathy for the languages we use and
consequently, language debates are very affective.

I have been programming in java in the last year and had enaough of
constructing everything myself each time. Here enters Swarm. I have
seen that the SWARM Team has done a magnificient job and I can now
concentrate on the logic of my model instead of bells and whistles
that generally take more time than the core elements of the model
(writing a GUI is a hassle even with Visual cafe that simplifies a
lot this burden). By the way, I have accepted to commit to a
proprietary interface (vcafe) for this reason too even if it is a
some sort of slavery: it takes many things in charge and I dont have
to manage them. You can hence see that I am not really a control-
maniac and I accept the trade-off even if it can have some
epistemological costs (how to know that the model does exactly what
you want if you do not control every bit of it). But this last point
seems to me to be valid also for Swarm.

Consequently, at a practical level, given that the documenttaion of
Swarm (tutorials and else) are oriented towards ObjC, what is the
opinion that have mildest learning curve: learn ObjC and benefit from
this documentation or try to learn the integration of Swarm in Java
by using only the few exemples?

My first impression was that the ObjC option was better (given the
documentation).Hence my question about the development interface
under MS-Windows. Given that learning a new language does not really
afraid me, what is your advice?

Thank you again for your interest for my existential questions (!)

Murat Yildizoglu
BETA-Theme
(UMR 7522 - CNRS)
PEGE