Re: Development environment (BIS)

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Development environment (BIS)
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 09:41:58 -0600

Murat Yildizoglu wrote:

> Consequently, at a practical level, given that the documenttaion of
> Swarm (tutorials and else) are oriented towards ObjC, what is the
> opinion that have mildest learning curve: learn ObjC and benefit from
> this documentation or try to learn the integration of Swarm in Java
> by using only the few exemples?
>
> My first impression was that the ObjC option was better (given the
> documentation).Hence my question about the development interface
> under MS-Windows. Given that learning a new language does not really
> afraid me, what is your advice?

I think your judgment is right.  In its current state, I don't think a
person can get very far with the Java Swarm unless they also know the
Objective-C version.  Even when Glen R, my mentor, argues that you
should not go from Java to ObjC, he does point out that a working
knowledge of ObjC is necessary for usage of Java.  After a while, this
may change as more java examples become available.  I've just been
starting-up on Java and I do think it is quite a nice language and for
beginners it will eventually be a better approach.  But it is not now
because we don't have enough examples and documentation for it.

I'm just starting a graduate seminar and I'm going to put them through
the ObjC paces.  I'll be sharpening up the listing of educational
resources on Swarm in the SwarmOnlineFaq.  I think you should check out
the resources that Benedikt S currently has available at UCLA. Grab
whatever you can, there is no telling how long they will have that stuff
up there.  Also, the Luna&Stefansson book is just now published.  I've
asked our librarian to order it, who knows how long that will take. I
saw an advance version of Benedikt's Swarm tutorial in there and its
quite nice.

<recruitment>
Perhaps, after a while, you will be the kind of person that can help
create user documentation for the Java version.  I don't mean technical
reference, as the Swarm team provides that. I mean user guide sorts of
docs.  I've been wondering if there should be a separate FAQ for JAVA,
and I'm certainly not the one to do it. I think the explanation that you
presented for your decision to adopt Swarm is quite persuasive and it
indicates you are in this for the right reasons.
</recruitment>
--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn