Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic 0.46pre1

From: Richard Bos
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic 0.46pre1
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:14:11 +0100

Op donderdag 20 november 2003 09:17, schreef Sebastian Heinlein:
> Am Mi, den 19.11.2003 schrieb Richard Bos um 23:45:
> > find my spec file attached.  It installs and runs fine, I have 1 issue
> > though with locales, which are perhaps resolved by running
> > scrollkeeper-update.  Can you confirm that scrollkeeper-update makes
> > newly installed locales known to applications if the locales are in
> > installed in /opt/gnome/share/locales?  To get around this issue I
> > install the locales now in /usr/share/locales.
>
> Scrollkeeper just manages documents - in your case the documentation. I
> don't think that I doesn't change anything on your system.
>
> You have to run "scrollkeeper-update -q" in postrm and postinst to
> register the documentation in the scrollkeeper database.

Ah, it's for documentation I did not know.

> Could you please try to open the docu within khelpcenter? Open
> khelpcenter and on the upper left corner is the scrollkeeper tree.
> Select Scrollkeeper|System|Synaptic. If it doesn't work could you try to
> open another scrollkeeper document?

It does now work.  I get something like:

Error:
ghelp:/opt/gnome/share/gnome/help/window-list/C/window-list.html:

Can't start process.  Can't make ioslave.
Klauncher answered unknown protocol: 'ghelp'.

Kon het volgende proces niet starten: Niet in staat io-slave aan te maken.
Klauncher antwoorde: Onbekend protocol: 'ghelp'.

> I would like to know if khelpcenter and scrollkeeper work on SuSE, since
> it doesn't on RedHat and Debian.

Same with suse.  What's the gnome tool to browse the documentation?

> Have you considered to use "%define prefix /opt/gnome"? These different
> prefixes in SuSE are awful.

Yes.  I have even build it with that.  In this case synaptic ends up
in /opt/gnome/sbin.  As I launch synaptic often manually from the root
command line I prefer to have synaptic  in /usr/sbin.  That's why I don't use
"%define prefix /opt/gnome" ;)  Might change in the future of course.

Back to the locales.  At the moment I must install the locales
in /usr/share/locales instead of /opt/gnome/share/locales as synaptic does
not pick up the locales from the latter location.  This was reported by
someone else.  I use the english variant myself I therefor don't notice the
problem and I don't know how to test the locale settings as well.

I prefer to have the locales in /opt/gnome/share/locales as result of
configure.  Can anyone enlighten me how I can make the system aware that the
locales must be picked up from /opt/gnome/share/locales?  For the record
other (gnome) applications are picking the locales
from /opt/gnome/share/locales.  Is there some app to be run in the post part
of the rpm installation?

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless