Re: Non-emacs shell (Re: bash source code block: problem after ssh comma

From: Bruno Barbier
Subject: Re: Non-emacs shell (Re: bash source code block: problem after ssh commands)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 16:33:41 +0100

Hi Max,

> On 17/11/2023 22:47, Bruno Barbier wrote:
>> FWIW, M-x shell differs from what a plain terminal is doing (xterm, in
>> my case), but, I do prefer 'M-x shell' behavior: it allows me to copy
>> multiple lines, getting the same results as when I type them manually,
>> or copy them line by line. My xterm doesn't seem to allow me to do that.
>
> I am unsure what do you expect from xterm, but perhaps it is not
> responsibility of a terminal application.

It has been said in this thread that 'M-x shell' should be fixed to
match the behavior that we see in a plain terminal, when we copy
multiple lines.  I just wanted to point out that I do prefer the way
'M-x shell' handles the copy of multiple lines.

> Multiple lines can be copied to regular BASH prompt (bracketed paste is
> enabled by default nowadays), however it may be inconvenient to edit.
> You may use edit-and-execute-command (C-x C-e) (BASH, not Emacs key
> binding) to start an editor and to paste multiple commands there.
> See also "fc" BASH built-in for editing and re-executing last commands.

Thanks Max! I didn't know that.  I should definitely start using this
when I'm stuck in a console, to safely copy/edit my commands using
Emacs.

Thanks,

Bruno