Re: smallcaps: Re: Experimental public branch for inline special blocks

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: smallcaps: Re: Experimental public branch for inline special blocks
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 15:21:59 +0000

Max Nikulin writes:

> OK, just consider it as my dissenting opinion. I believe that it should
> be possible for the same Org document

>    &definition{Example} or &_[:smallcaps t]{ad-hoc}
>
> to export it as

>    or <span style="font-variant:small-caps;">ad-hoc</span>
>
> or as

>    or <span class="small-caps">ad-hoc</span>
>
> by adjusting of global settings. The former one be suitable for a CMS
> that does not allow user CSS and the latter one is preferable for a site
> under full user control and having CSS
>
>    .definition, .small-capps { font-variant: small-caps; }

With the current implementation this:

&definition{Example}

produces:

:smallcaps simply adds a (say) direct formatting layer. I am not a fan
of any form of direct formatting. But, as I already said, I think that
these types of global attributes can be useful for users who do not want
to bother with predefining styles, classes or commands in
odt/html/LaTeX, or because they do not know how to do it. They simply
want a text to be exported with a certain color or with small caps, or
with more effects (in case more global attributes are implemented
(background color, text size, etc).

I think an option could be added to disable global attributes or specify
which backend they should be used on. Anyway, I would not see it
necessary, but perhaps other users think differently.

--
Juan Manuel Macías -- Composición tipográfica, tratamiento de datos, diseño
editorial y ortotipografía