Re: [paragui-users] on OpenGL

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] on OpenGL
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 19:56:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Andrew Ford wrote:

> Most of the SDL functions that paragui uses are
> abstracted from the base SDL functions, so small
> changes like this shouldn't be too big a deal.  I know
> a bunch of people would like to use paragui for
> opengl, so I'm pretty interested in the results.

okay update:
glSDL-0.3 has a small bug (fix by renaming SDL_GetVideoSurface to
glSDL_GetVideoSurface :)

and some BIG differences.  paragui compiles just fine with it - but the
display has some different rules (???).   I get the basic Black Screen(tm)
(joke) instead of a nice display - although the widgets flash up for a brief
moment.  oh and the "animation" demo crashes after a frame.  (again this is
differences in how glSDL handles display)

but basic changes for those interested:
    all references to #include "SDL.h" are replaced with #include "glSDL.h"
    -DHAVE_OPENGL added to CFLAGS (umm and in paragui-config)
    "-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGL" added to LDFLAGS (or whatever :)
                      I modified the .la file - yah I know I should actually
                      modify the autoconf/automake files *g*
    as glSDL isn't really designed for standalone distribution, I copied
    glSDL.h (with that one small change above) into paragui's include folder
    and glSDL.c into paragui's src/core dir (with a mod to makefile.am/... to
    include glSDL.c into the compile)

anyhow, I'm still working on this.  As soon as I have working paragui tests
I'll build a formal patch for it to add glSDL support....  yes including
configure mods.  At that point it might be a nice idea (if not sooner :) to
see if David Olofson's got any probs with it being distributed inside of
paragui optionally *g*.  (note - glSDL is LGPL just like SDL :)

G'day, eh? :)
       - Teunis