Re: [paragui-users] Don't R.I.P., ParaGUI :'(

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] Don't R.I.P., ParaGUI :'(
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:58:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, I.S.Kuten wrote:

> > Hi all.
> >
> > I have some time to spend on this project, but first of all I need to know,
> > what features need to be implemented or bugs fixed.
> >
> > In my opinion there are must be the following (that's all that I lack in
> > ParaGUI ):
> >
> > * VFS abstration layer (maybe it isn't a ParaGUI task)

not a paragui thing.  Handy extension though.

> > * OpenGL support for drawing controls (work on it stopped more than year
> > ago )

Nope.  Stopped earlier this year.  required a complete rewrite of video
driver support - previous code will NOT work with current SDL.  Depended
on a HACK that has been since removed.

> > * More complex controls (file selector for example)

Again extension lib.

> About complex controls ... ( like File Selector, Tree Control, etc )
> I'd suggest not to bloat ParaGUI - it's lightweight GUI lib , but impelement
> them as addon library ( like physfs )
>
> So we can choose in ParaGUI
> ./configure --with-addon-controls

Actually not that complex.  Or maybe more complex *G*.
1. Some kind of configuration file (user settable but defaults to
<config>:paragui2.xml)
- why XML?  Why not.  ParaGUI2 anyways already uses it.

2. Dynamic loading system.  Take a peek at devel-opengl - it already has
that for video drivers.  I was playing with the design of a component
loader but ran into troubles with paragui's XML handler.  *ick*  Not
really extendable.

3. hooks in paragui for extensions to hook themselves in.  And some way to
request: a) a list of extensions and b) access to an extension.

1 - optional, but would be handy to locate extensions
2 - optional, seems a good idea.
3 - that's the basic min.  Any shared lib could hook into that...  and the
app could require the lib which would automagically arrange things.

I've used all of these ideas elsewhere so I know it's implementable.

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis