Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibau

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibault_Jean-Philippe_Mengual-Freedom_0_for_everybody_really_.text
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:47:25 -0400

      But being left behind brings quite some important rights to
    request about it.

Those left behind by private voluntarism have the right to exhort,
and the right to help from the state.  If you demand more than that,
we will have to disagree.  If you are willing to campaign in a way
consistent with that, we could support your campaign, provided you
don't promote a misunderstanding of the meaning of Freedom 0.

    > No.  We can say that the program in its current form is useless for
    > the handicapped absent the accessibility they need.

    Which thus means everybody, since anybody may become blind after an
    accident for instance.

That statement is a conceptual misunderstanding.  Everybody could
potentially be included, but only a small fraction actually are
included.

      Precisely when it's a tremendous step.
    How can you feel when you see the whole population get a tremendous step
    and not be able to enjoy it?

I would not kill an important free program to save blind people
from feeling left out.  We are talking about a program that helps
many people and hurts no one.  Its flaw is that it fails to help
everyone; it could have been better.  That does not make it bad
or evil.

As long as you argue by equating "could have been better" with "evil",
I have to argue against.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation